So here we go… Dane turned one yesterday! He entered the world at 5:38 am and weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces. He was 20 inches long and perfect. My heart melted the minute I held him in my arms and I was instantly in love. Labor wasn’t easy, but it’s crazy to think back on it now – a whole year later. I’d do it again in a heartbeat to have another perfect little one (someday!)
I’m having a hard time putting into words what the past year has meant to me. I’ve grown up a lot, that’s for sure. It is such a trip knowing that this little human – full of innocence and curiosity is your sole responsibility. Everything in life that he needs to live, thrive and grow depends on you. I’ve learned that there is a LOT of give and take as a parent. I know now that patience truly is a virtue and practicing it is harder than it seems.
I surprised myself by being a pretty laid back mom – which actually has helped me cope with all of the changes over the past year. Rolling with the punches has been my motto – because sometimes you can’t control everything. Our life has changed, that’s absolutely true, but now we have this hilarious, sweet and adventurous little boy that adds an infusion of fun to every get-together.
In his first year of life, Dane has already deeply affected so many people – he gives us life and makes us want to be better. He is smothered with love and kisses daily and usually welcomes them with a big drooly open mouth.
Some of the things he’s been up to:
- Running (yes, running) all over the house
- Climbing the stairs a warp speed – we’re working on coming down
- Reading ALL THE BOOKS
- Being naked as often as possible
- Bathtime – splashing – drinking from the faucet – laying down and kicking
- Mimicking everything we do and say
- Animal noises for days – especially Moo and Woof
- Being picky about food, but never turning down fruit
- Doing anything for a laugh – for some reason head-butting is hilarious….
- Running full speed into his teepee and crashing into the pillow pile
- Bouncing on anything that is bouncy (couch, chairs, mom’s squishy stomach)
- Racing up and down the driveway and eating rocks & mulch
- Tooth count is up to 4 (teething has been rough on Dane so far)
- Playing sports with dad – basketball and soccer are favorites. He loves to dunk and is getting pretty good at dribbling the soccer ball in the hallway
- Giving hugs and kisses – my favorite
- Goldfish crackers – all of the goldfish crackers
Thanks little boy for choosing me as your mama – I love you more than you will ever know. Here’s to SO many more memories and adventures! I’m going to share photos from his party (Dino themed party) in a separate post, but thanks to all who helped us celebrate our Dane Jacob!! xo